If you don’t already have a jar of peanut butter at home, get one pronto, and get working! This is one of my favourite dishes to cook up when I want something comforting and delicious.
POLL: Are you team smooth or team chunky? Let me know!
I use shiitake mushrooms and snow peas in this one, but feel free to add some tofu or chicken if you like!
2 chilli padi (birds eye chilli), de-seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic
4” ginger, roughly chopped
4 small shallots
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
3 stalks lemongrass, bottom fleshy parts, finely sliced
2 tbsp neutral oil
270ml (1¼ cup) canned coconut milk
1-2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp peanut butter, smooth
Zest of 1 large green lime
Juice of ½ lime
120g snow peas, prepared (see notes)
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
Salt and pepper
Sesame oil, to drizzle
For garnish: cilantro, red chilli, crushed roasted peanuts
- In a food processor, combine the chilli, garlic, ginger, shallots, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and ¼ cup water and blend until it becomes a smooth paste.
- In a large pot, heat up 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat and cook the spice paste until fragrant.
- Once well cooked, add in the coconut milk, fish sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, lime zest, lime juice, peanut butter, and a cup of water. Add more/less water to reach your desired consistency of the curry. Leave this to simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the snow peas and mushrooms, and any other ingredients you fancy.
- Season with sesame oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat and enjoy it with a bowl of rice!
- Garnish with sliced red chilli, cilantro, and crushed roasted peanuts
- Snow peas: Remove the ends, along with the thin fibrous string which runs along its side