Mmm one of my all-time favourites : )
It’s packed with lean protein that will keep you full for longer, and the mackerel is a great source of brain- and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids!
I like making a huge batch of the Szechuan pepper powder to sprinkle on my other dishes! They’re amazing in omelettes too.
In partnership with Ayam Brand for #ConfirmCanLah.
1 block of silken tofu, cubed
2 cans mackerel fillets in extra virgin olive oil, drained
½ tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1½ tbsp Chilli Bean Paste (Dou Ban Jiang)
2 garlic, minced
1” ginger, minced
3 sprigs spring onions, sliced
1/2 tbsp Szechuan peppers, toasted and ground
1 tbsp soy sauce
Cornstarch slurry (2½ tbsp water + 1 tbsp cornstarch)
- Fry garlic, ginger and spring onion (white portion), over low heat. Then add Dou Ban Jiang and mix well.
- Add 250ml of water and bring to a simmer.
- Add tofu, mackerel, and soy sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Make cornstarch slurry, and add to the pot to thicken the mixture to your liking.
- Add sesame oil, spring onion (green portion), and sprinkle Szechuan pepper powder to taste.
- Serve with rice or your favourite noodles!