Your next movie night snack, sorted! Try out this recipe for chilli con carne that’s heartier and tastier than your average bucket of popcorn.
You can make this vegetarian by leaving out the ground beef!
Pro Tip: sprinkle some shredded cheese onto your bowl of tortilla chips and pop it into the oven for a couple of minutes to melt!
I used baked beans in the video, but it works perfectly well with normal canned beans. Just make sure to read the ingredients list to make sure there aren’t ingredients you don’t want in there. I personally go for beans in water, that don’t have added salt and sugar.
In partnership with Ayam Brand for #ConfirmCanLah.
1 can beans (425g), drained
1 yellow onion, chopped
½ yellow bell pepper, chopped
300g minced beef
250g tomato sauce (passata)
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup shredded cheese
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper
Flat leaf parsley, torn
½ shallot, minced
1 tbsp sour cream
More grated cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat and add the onions. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the spices, mix well, and add in the beef. Mix it up constantly to break into pieces.
- Once mostly cooked, add in the drained beans followed by the tomato sauce.
- Mix it up and leave to cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Finally, stir in some shredded cheese and remove from the heat.
- Top with more cheese if you like, followed by a dollop of sour cream, shallots, and parsley, and serve with a bowl of tortilla chips.