This is for the…
and ALL CAKE LOVERS!
This is one of my all-time favourite cakes to bake. It’s incredibly simple, all you need are 8 ingredients, and the clean up is easy because all you need is a food processor – no additional bowls etc! If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop up the figs by hand, and mix the rest by hand in a large bowl.
It’s a great cake for little ones or the older folk, as its soft and super moist!
270-300g ripe bananas, mashed (about 6 small, or 3 large bananas)
3 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
70g dried figs, rehydrated if required
190g almond flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp (2.4g) baking soda
Optional toppings: banana slices, halved figs, desiccated coconut, etc
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Pulse the figs and mashed banana in a food processor until the figs have broken into small chunks.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and oil to the mix, and pulse until well blended.
- Add in the almond flour, baking soda and salt, and continue blending till well combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan (9x5) and dust some desiccated coconut over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. If the top of the cake is browning too quickly, cover it with aluminium foil for the rest of the cooking time.
- Once time is up, test for doneness with a toothpick. If it comes out clean with some crumb stuck to it, it’s done! (The cake is on moist, so its normal that the toothpick doesnt come out dry)
- Remove from the oven and cool before slicing.
- If you’re using a smaller baking pan, adjust the baking time accordingly.
- The cake can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.